- For original and new pieces of creative writing to be based on Dylan Thomas’s poem ‘The Hunchback in the Park’.
- To create a 5-year rolling programme which includes other disciplines, such as poetry accompanied by music, film scripts, play scripts, and dramatic monologues.
- To encourage trauma or war victims, prisoners, abused wives or husbands, immigrants or refugees to a new country who do not speak the country’s language.
- Age for entrants 10 – 100 years
- Responses to the poem ‘The Hunchback in the Park’ can be in poetry, prose-poems, prose, diary form, and letter form
- Creative writing entries must be original
- Creative writing entries must not have been previously published
- Creative writing entries can be written in the writer’s mother tongue (whatever the language is) or in the writer’s dialect, together with (if possible) an English translation
- Submissions are limited to one page each for the original and translation
- Submissions must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- as a word attachment, which should include the age of the entrant and
- Submission is free
- Deadline 27 April 2014 (Dylan’s mother Florrie Thomas’s birthday)
The best of the submissions will be judged by international writers/translators and published in an anthology which will appear on the 27th October 2014, the centenary of Dylan Thomas’s birth, co-published by The Seventh Quarry Press, UK, and Cross-Cultural Communications, USA
The remainder of the submissions will appear in phases on www.dylandowntheups.org.uk
Organisers: Anne Pelleschi and Welsh poet Peter Thabit Jones,
in a collaboration with Stanley H. Barkan of New York
English-language judges: Peter Thabit Jones and Anne Pelleshi of Wales; Stanley H. Barkan, Carolyn Mary Kleefeld, Maria Mazziotti Gillan, and John Dotson of America
Other-language judges will be chosen by Stanley H. Barkan and Peter Thabit Jones